I had recently made some measurements of RTTY and PSK31 which shows
that sound card driven programs using DATA-A can put out a cleaner
transmitted signal than the K3's internal generators in the PSK-D and
FSK-D modes.

Unlike many other rigs, the K3 is very forgiving about the precise Mic
Gain/audio levels.

I'd found that with Mic Gain set to 6, audio levels anywhere between
250 mV RMS and 350 mV RMS work equally well, with the RF output
tracking the PWR knob setting and not needing to readjust the audio
levels.  With many rigs, you need to adjust the RF output through the
amount of audio drive, just so you can keep the ALC turned off.

With the "ease of use," together with lower IMD, there are few reasons
to use PSK-D (or FSK-D, unless you are out in the boonies with just a
Morse paddle) on the K3.

I've just spent a little time this morning and compiled the results
into a web page here:

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/Technical/K3/Digital/digital.html

The write up includes cases where I found a power creep (with an
attendant ALC creep and worsening IMD numbers from PSK31).  It appears
that the power creep could be the result of insufficient audio drive.
With the "good" fixed audio level mentioned above, I see no power
creep at various RF power settings.

The measurements also show that the K3's transmit IMD is low enough
that AFSK RTTY waveshaping by software can help reduce the keying
sidebands when compared to a rig (K3 or otherwise) that uses FSK.

The bottom line (if you want to skip the nitty gritty details in the
above web page) is that the K3's PA at 50 watts average PSK31 power is
capable of better than -35 dBc IMD for close spaced carrier pairs.

By carefully tuning the audio drive, I can get -37 dBc, so I assume
the PA itself is good to at least that.  The -35 dBc number is
probably limited by something else in the chain.

73
Chen, W7AY