You shouldn't need Polymer. Just web components, which are a standard and
implemented in most browsers (probably all browsers on which Elm runs).

It will be a few dozen lines of JS and HTML, and there might be quirks. If
it works, it still won't be super elegant, but it could build the case for
adopting the standard as part of Elm if these experiments go well.