I haze thought about using web components like this too. You could even go a
step further and have web components that embed Elm inside themselves the same
way you can whack Elm into any other element. So perhaps a collection of Elmish
web components points one path forward!

The other nice thing about embedding web components into Elm as easily as we
can is that they can be used to wrap native JS things into El as well. For
example one might make a web component to render a google map based on ita
attributes, and in Elm we just Html.node "google-map" [] []. Definitely
something I need to play with more!