On Thursday 06 June 2013 20:55:12 TJoseph Powderly did opine:

> > On Jun 6 2013 3:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings Guys;
> >>
> >> Someone mentioned that rockhopper can make .pdf
> >> s somehow, and those of coarse can be scaled.
> >>
> >> Since I now own an HL3170CDW color laser printer, what steps does it
> >> take
> >> to do this, blowing my lathe .hal file up into at least a 6 page
> >> output?

> >> Thanks for any help on rockhopper.
> >>
> >> Cheers, Gene
>
> Gene,
>
> fwiw
>
> try pdfposter or posterazor or poster or scribus

Reading the descriptions, I installed scribus. It can blow it up ok, but
when I asked for a printout, what would fit n one page at the size I had
zoomed was all the printer gave me.  Next, I'll see if poster can deal with
an svg file for input.  I did hit the posterazor site, but it mentions a
trial period and never did tell me how much.  And pdfposter would need the
thing made into a pdf to start with.

Possibly something can be worked out.  I was hoping there was a plugin for
scibus, but if there is, its not in the buntu repo.

> all available from synaptic
> i may have lots of repositories enabled
> but one of those oughtta be availble to you
> all of the print huge posters on std letter paper ready to be taped
> together i dont print stuff anymore , but when i worked on big hal
> diagrams i used similar tools and taped the sheets together
>
> yes, a big problem with such diagrams is size and scale
> when its small enough to overview you cant see the problem point
> when you can see the problem point you cant see the overview
>

> maybe some of the newer 'lensing' code may help ( fisheye zooms a bit,
> leaving the overall view as well )
>
> btw svg is zoomable/panable so maybe you could use a good svg viewer
> rather than a pc of paper. up to you.
>
> also organizing hal work in 'sheets', hierarchically, like old orcad,
> helps
>
> regards
> tomp

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Death wish, n.:
        The only wish that always comes true, whether or not one wishes it
to.
         law-abiding citizens.