Matt,

Am 07.06.2013 um 19:04 schrieb Matt Shaver <m...@mattshaver.com>:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:08:00 +0200
> Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote:
>
>> If somebody wants to build on this, I would be happy to cooperate - I
>> do lack the Javascript skills to build something meaningful beyond
>> the 'hello world' level, and it isnt my main focus either.
>
> Peter Jensen will be coming to Wichita, so you should talk to him. He
> might be the yin to your yang on this.

I'd be really be looking forward finding a matching brother in crime on this

I've been prowling and handwaving on this theme publically and privately for
quite a while

>> I also advise against a Java application in the LinuxCNC context
>> which IMO has no realistic chance of adoption and survival in this
>> community.
>
> While I don't agree with everything you say, I think you're right about
> this. I think the same is true for QT. Both technologies:
>
> A. Are physically large, as in "takes a lot of disk space".
>
> and
>
> B. Have a history of conflict between their license terms and the
> largely GPL sympathetic linux community. The fallout from some of this
> means there are people out there who will never use this stuff no
> matter what, on principle.

I didnt think of this, but you're surely right

I was coming from a bit of different angle: the proliferation of platforms, and
the power of current Web tools suggest such a split, and I agree that the times
of 'fat binary UI's' are counted

just look at this:
http://badassjs.com/post/43158184752/qt-gui-toolkit-ported-to-javascript-via-emscripten
 ;=)

As for Java: while Oracle does a superb job on sinking the vessel and even the
financial community is boarding the dinghis - women and children first, I
really dont care about a language and its upsides or downsides, thats just
flamewar fodder

what I think is relevant is - will it find adoption (i.e. are folks out which
either speak the language, or are willing to learn it; imagining a show of hand
I think we'll see very few)

the other aspect is splintering efforts - note we cant even meaningfully
support the ton of Tcl code in LinuxCNC, and I dont see an angle on carrying
that forward if we have to do substantial API changes (we will)

see the ranking here: http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/

barring a Tcl-cognescent angel squad magically appearing: I think we're riding
a dead horse here (wisdom of the Dakota applies)

and I see another one in the making; it just doesnt smell as bad yet

- Michael