semi-related, since this is using an Arduino:

the upcoming HAL messaging featureset which will replace NML will use protobuf
as serialisation vehicle; other than NML this is not restricted to userland
components; in fact I have HAL components in place which directly understand
and generated protobuf messages; even in kernel. This was a key step to get rid
of message transcoding and related warts, like usrmotif.cc. The RT component
protobuf support uses nanopb for this which is actually targeted for embedded
systems and has minimal prerequisites.

see http://code.google.com/p/nanopb/source/browse/, and
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~jpa/nanopb/

You'll notice this adds a protobuf copability even to AVR controllers, and I
dont think this is limited to AVR's.

What this means is: in the future we will be able to use a single message
format end-to-end (different from what we have now), significantly simplifying
things and taking out an unnecessary source of bugs

for instance you could have the following flow:

userland code, say Python, generates a protobuf message and passes this to a
HAL driver
assume that HAL driver talks SPI to an arduino
there is _no_ transcoding needed along the path; the arduino can understand the
same message encoding used in userland code perfectly fine, and reply with a
locally generated message which will again be perfectly understood if received
by, say, the Python userland code.

this gets rid of the need to reinvent wire formats when talking to outboard
microcontrollers - single encoding, everything is end-to-end, no intermediate
massage needed.

- Michael