On Jun 25 2013 6:22 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 25 June 2013 12:05, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
>
>> ouch... requiring a SQL database seems more than a little overkill I
>> would think.
>
> Sqlite is fairly, err, lite.

well... how lite is lite?  On my linux machine the static lib is ~800K
which is not that bad.

>>  I just had this wonderful image jump to mind of a shoehorn
>> and the little Arduino that thought it could...
>
> I don't really imagine that we will be porting LinuxCNC to the
> Arduino. For the fractionally bigger platforms like RPi and
> Beaglebone
> I think that, as long as they have Python, they will be able to
> access
> a database. At Wichita I had been testing my code for a few days
> before realising that I didn't have Sqlite3 installed.

fair enough.  That would be extreme (the bit equivalent of the limbo --
how small can you go).  As such I had not seriously thought that it
would be designed to work with the Arduino, but it was an amusing image.
BTW, I think the mega gives you something like 256MB, so 0.3% overhead
for a database is not bad at all.