On Jun 25 2013 7:45 AM, Eric Keller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
>
>> fair enough.  That would be extreme (the bit equivalent of the limbo
>> --
>> how small can you go).  As such I had not seriously thought that it
>> would be designed to work with the Arduino, but it was an amusing
>> image.
>> BTW, I think the mega gives you something like 256MB, so 0.3%
>> overhead
>> for a database is not bad at all.
>
> I don't know how much longer people are going to be tempted to
> squeeze
> inappropriate apps onto an Arduino.  Probably for a while, but I
> think
> the RPi changed that a lot.  A Beaglebone or a RPi is not much more
> than twice the size of an Arduino and infinitely more capable.

inappropriate?  Who's to judge appropriateness?  If it works as
intended then it works on that platform.  I might consider it
inappropriate if I replaced all the chips on the board to eek out the
extra nano seconds needed to accomplish something.  On second thought I
do not think I would consider it inappropriate even then, but mere
overkill...

Speaking of out there apps...  I recently took a Advanced Scientific
Programming in Fortran short course at NASA-GSFC, and the latest 2008
standards have all the great OOP/OOD functionality you have come to love
(except programing by contract which is slated for review in 2015), with
a few added wicked cool things added on (like co-arrays).  The part of
me with the wicked sense of humor has seriously thought of writing a
bunch of functor based Fortran code using gfortran-4.8.1 (which is
mostly ISO/IEC 1539-1:2010 compliant), and cross compile that down onto
the Android ;-)  So, what would be the most inappropriate Fortran code
shoehorned into an Android?  Maybe a telescope driver with an embedded
start catalog, and planetary ephemeras...  I'll have to think about this
one carefully.  It would be done for the shock value alone unless I can
think of a real application like ooo... this just might work.
publiclaboratory.org had designed some spectrometers that you can build
at home.  Now imagine if the spectrographic analysis could be done on a
small embedded system in the original Fortran code...  That would be so
twisted...

   EBo --