Translation files are relatively easy to create and do not need to be
compiled with the rest of the linuxCNC stack. What does need to be
compiled in is support in the source code and in some cases, compiler flags.

Qt and python for sure, and I think Glade, all have translation (locale)
support.

Changing the locale on the fly is somewhat dependent on the desktop
environment in my experience. Some DE allow you to change the locale on
the fly from a settings application. Some require you to restart the X
server after making the change. For DEs that don't have a GUI way to
make the change you can easily change the locale from the cli. Again,
sometimes you will have to restart the X server. You can also make a
shortcut (.desktop file) that contains a different locale environment
variable for just the application that it launches.

Hope that helps some.

On 10/12/2016 06:43 AM, Marius Alksnys wrote:
> [...]
>> sure what all.  From the linuxcnc/src/po/README file I see that they
>> give some specific examples, and how to.  There is current support for
>> 14 different languages and 3 extra regional dialects or additional
>> languages.  What I do not know is if the current tools and
>> implementation can switch languages on the fly (ie by a pull down menu,
>> and refresh in the new language).  It is possible that that
>> functionality already exists, but no one has updated it, or (which is
>> more likely) that the necessary low level functionality does not exist
>> in the tools used.  I know that I tried to do exactly what you are
>> suggesting back in 2001 using Qt -- they were just coming out with that
>> support in their professional tools, but not in their free version, and
>> I was developing open-source tools for ecologists at the university (ie
>> not paid, and could not afford to pony up the $5K IIRC)...  So to help
>> drill down into the question and how current implementations do not
>> support your needs please take a look at the URL above, play with
>> them a bit, and tell us where it is not working and what you would want
>> to change.  Once we have that information we can have a discussion about
>> if the request is something that anyone wants to take on and/or support.
>>
>> One thing that would help us is if you tell us which UI you would like
>> to start with, and if you are looking to try to set it up on the fly or
>> just support the additional languages.
>>
>> I like your idea of setting up a UI which is purely graphical.  There
>> is places where that will breakdown, but it could go a long way.  For
>> that look at the current UI's, like Axis, and tell use what you would
>> change and why.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>>     EBo --
>>
>> On Oct 12 2016 12:21 AM, Marius Alksnys wrote:
>>> My integrated machines are used by different language speaking people
>>> quite often. Some of them speak / understand one language only. Thus
>>> there is a need to create UIs which could be understood by different
>>> spoken users. Currently there is a need for up to three languages on
>>> one UI.
>>>

>>> What is the best way to create and maintain such UIs or panels for
>>> LinuxCNC?
>>>

>>> My ideas:
>>> 1. Create UI without texts, just icons, numbers, other visual
>>> components. This includes various messages - warnings, errors, etc.
>>> Where to get suitable icons for that, how to adapt them, what
>>> practices
>>> to follow?
>>> 2. Let the user to choose the language (s)he prefers, for example, a
>>> group of radio buttons with flags / abbreviations and by using
>>> GladeVCP
>>> - create python script which changes labels and texts of controls at
>>> runtime depending on which language (or flag) button is activated.
>>> 3. Use HAL and connected mentioned radio button hal pins to every HAL
>>> "label"... Don't know how to do this yet.