+1 for focussing on quality over quantity.

1 UI is minimum due to having a reference implementation for the interfaces
as well as being able to test the overall complete SW system once before it
goes into release. Axis could be this reference UI. Then put the one fancy
most promising UI with big fanbase and most maintainers into the pot as
well.

Just my 2 cents.