Years ago, Diethard Moehr (Secretary of IEC TC77)
invited me to join IEC TC77 representing
Singapore but due to some personal reason,
the invitation was declined (like I said in Seattle
when I met him, I still feel sorry for that.)

After reading Mike's email, I can't stop myself
adding a few more words to my previous
reply to Arun Kaore regarding ESD. Many
people think ESD is conductive coupling
and thus only take into account of Voltage
applied. For contact discharge, it may be
alright since in this case conductive coupling
is dominate. But for air-discharge, it is not
true. The ESD effects mainly result from
radiative coupling (some conductive as well
but not dominate). The test level is in Voltage
but actual effects result from dV/dt. In other
words, how many kVs is not so important
but dV/dt becomes the killer.

Different dV/dt result in different field distributions
and different current indensities when picked up
by different portions of the EUT which is actually
exposed to an electromagnetic field.

If you don't look at it in this way, I guess
you may not be able to answer the question
logically.

Regards,
Leslie

--- Mike  Hopkins <mhopk...@keytek.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm the most appropriate person to
> answer, but here's my
> opinion. Doug Smith at Auspex (also a member of this
> ieee group) is probably
> the best qualified to talk about ESD and other noise
> phenomena:
>
> Back in the mid '80's when we were demonstrating ESD
> simulators (air
> discharge only), we saw a lot of cases where EUT's
> survived higer voltages
> -- 8 to 10kV, but failed when tested at a few kV.
> With the scopes at the
> time, we could see faster rise times at the lower
> voltages (about 2-5kV),
> slower risetimes at intermediate voltages (5-10kV)
> and faster risetimes
> again at the higher voltages (>10kV). We attributed
> these low voltage
> failures to the faster risetimes with air discharges
> below about 5kV. I I
> think this scenereo is still valid, and we see
> risetimes of a few hundred
> pico seconds below about 3kV. Risetimes do get to be
> slower at higher
> voltages. David Pommerenke at HP has done a lot of
> recent work to
> characterize human ESD with modern scopes and high
> bandwidth
> instrumentation.
>
> With contact mode testing, I'm not sure the same
> argument applies. With a
> simulator that has very clean risetimes, the
> risetime is held constant (IEC
> is .7 to 1ns) with voltage. di/dt in fact increases
> with voltage, which
> would be evidence for more failures at higher
> voltages, but this doesn't
> seem to be the case in practice. Nevertheless,
> people keep coming up with
> cases where lower voltages cause failures where
> higher voltages are okay.
>
> Some possibilities for the problem with contact
> mode:
> 1. Some simulator have a considerable amount of
> ringing on the rising edge
> of the current waveform -- ESD Association work
> under WG14 -- also papers
> published at past ESD Symposiums by HP and others.
> This ringing could be
> inconsistant with voltage and be a significant
> contributor to failures.
>
> 2. Breakdowns inside the EUT in air across very
> small gaps could produce
> risetimes well under 400ps.
>
> 3.  Other ideas ????
>
> In any case, it is still felt by members of IEC
> TC77B WG9 (now in the
> process of completely re-evaluating IEC 61000-4-2)
> that testing at lower
> voltages is required to insure a product is, in
> fact, immune to ESD. This
> requirement will likely continue into any future
> version of the IEC
> standard.
>
> The latest draft of ANSI/IEEE C63.16-XXXX includes
> statements recommending
> testing begin at the lowest voltage and progress to
> higher voltages -- 1kV
> [...]
=== message truncated ===