Group,

I think this discussion of language is very important. Why? I'll speak
for myself...

During the last centuries/years, most of the "third-world" or
"developing countries" (as you prefer) has adopted the idea of "buying
technologies" instead of "developing its own". Together with that, has
come the "imposing" of the product's manufacturer language, that is the
english, german, etc...

As you can see, we don't use english because it is simple or easy to
write/talk. We use it because most of the industrial world has adopted
it as a universal language.

Lou wrote: "I certainly agree that the world does not need another
artificial language like esperanto."

I'm studying esperanto for some time, and I don't think esperanto is
artificial at all! Esperanto was made to be easy for people from all
nations. It's made of "pieces" from various languages (most radicals
resemble latim language, the grammar is very similar to english, because
of its simplicity). The original purpose of the esperanto language is to
be a "nation-free" language. A language that someone learns because
someone wants to talk with people from other nations, without any
prejudice of race, language or faith.

We are in entering the third millenium. I think it's time to begin
thinking/acting different. Why couldn't we all talk a language that
everybody has to learn, instead of only the non-english countries? It
can be esperanto, universal language, etc...

Well, all of these may seem only dreams from a brazilian engineer... but
I think that's the way we create our world!

Best Regards, Saudações, Salutojn!

Muriel