Hi all,
that's the world we live in. Like it or not, English is the de-facto
international language, especially in the technical/scientific community.
I personally enjoy participating in this forum mostly for its invaluable
technical contents but I also find it a very useful tool for improving my
knowledge of the english language (mostly american English I should say).
As a non-english participant, I personally prefer colloquial or informal English
than the bureaucratic English used in the regulatory documents (CENELEC, IEC,
FCC etc.). The spirit of this forum is to be an informal gathering of
professionals open to discuss any EMC/Sfafety issue like they would do if they
met personally.
The only recommendation I would make - especially to the majority of US
participants - is not to let too much "slang" into their language, if they
honestly want to  reach out to all international participants. It's not  a
question of oversimplifying the english language, just take care of using a
little bit more of plain standard English than you would normally do when
talking to your next-door buddies !   I think that would not impoverish the
language and would just be more understandable to a wider international
audience. As Lou pointed out, not everyone out there has the same proficiency in
the english language so it's just a question of keeping it a little more
standard if you want to maximize the EMC/Safety knowledge and experience that
you can tap from this planet .
Having said that, I personally enjoy extending my vocabulary and learning
american slang, but that's another, more personal, point.

Thanks to all

Paolo Roncone
Compuprint - Italy

P.S. BTW (= By The Way) Scott, what's the meaning of  " Please include gotcha's
to watch out for.." ?
(taken from you post with subj: PCI Cards & EMC Testing)