        From:   Muriel Bittencourt de Liz [SMTP:mur...@grucad.ufsc.br]
        Sent:   Monday, March 27, 2000 12:25 PM
        To:     EMC-PSTC List
        Cc:     Lou Gnecco
        Subject:        Re: modest proposal

        Group,

        I think this discussion of language is very important. Why? I'll
speak
        for myself...

        During the last centuries/years, most of the "third-world" or
        "developing countries" (as you prefer) has adopted the idea of
"buying
        technologies" instead of "developing its own". Together with that,
has
        come the "imposing" of the product's manufacturer language, that is
the
        english, german, etc...

        As you can see, we don't use english because it is simple or easy to
        write/talk. We use it because most of the industrial world has
adopted
        it as a universal language.

        Lou wrote: "I certainly agree that the world does not need another
        artificial language like esperanto."

        I'm studying esperanto for some time, and I don't think esperanto is
        artificial at all! Esperanto was made to be easy for people from all
        nations. It's made of "pieces" from various languages (most radicals
        resemble latim language, the grammar is very similar to english,
because
        of its simplicity). The original purpose of the esperanto language
is to
        be a "nation-free" language. A language that someone learns because
        someone wants to talk with people from other nations, without any
        prejudice of race, language or faith.

        We are in entering the third millenium. I think it's time to begin
        thinking/acting different. Why couldn't we all talk a language that
        everybody has to learn, instead of only the non-english countries?
It
        can be esperanto, universal language, etc...

        Well, all of these may seem only dreams from a brazilian engineer...
but
        I think that's the way we create our world!

        Best Regards, Saudacoes, Salutojn!

        Muriel