In load side power distribution industrial/commercial electrical
sub-metering applications (feeder and branch circuits)we use
IEC/EN/UL61010-1 3rd (plus 61010-2-030 for the current transformers (CT)) to
evaluate our meter's safety design.  In this application the instrument
current transformer sensors typically sit on the power load cables of
120-347VL:N /208-600VL:L mains in panel boards and switch panels at the
feeding breaker.

The CT goes over the power cable's insulating sheath but may be located near
the point where the power cable is stripped and inserted into the breaker
lug and so the value of the cable's sheath is not considered in this
evaluation.  The meter's input is the secondary of these CT circuits without
any additional isolation; therefore the CT must provide all of the
isolation.  Safety design wise this ends up requiring "double/reinforced
isolation for 600V and Over Voltage CAT III" (metering category CAT III)
between the primary and secondary circuits of the CT.

We have evaluated a group of CTs along with our submeter as a system however
I would like to have some independence from this system approach with our CT
vendors.  In review with UL they said if we required the CTs to be validated
to provide "double/reinforced isolation for 600V CATIII" then we should
satisfy the requirements of our submeter.

Many of the CT vendors in the USA use IEEE C57.13 to evaluate their CTs.
This is not an European safety standard with the concept of isolation
redundancy in it.  Some of the designs may meet the physical requirements of
providing "double/reinforced isolation for 600V CATIII" but need a standard
to be reviewed/validated to.  61010 works for the submeter and the CTs as a
system but what standard would be best to use to validate/control the CT
production as a separate independent component?

Chris Wells
Eaton

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>