On 1/12/2012 2:22 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> <...>
> But, now there is a new CadSoft Eagle problem for all of us that renders
> the whole project moot.
>
> Apparently my freebie copy of eagle has timed out, the screen it opens
> is about 75% transparent and extremely bleached out, rendering it unusable.
>
> Not IMO unusual at all, they really want to sell the $4799/copy version.
> This now makes the 3rd time that the freebie download has died on me
> in about 6 months time each, forcing me to go get a fresh copy.  And
> I rarely use it, generally only for a viewer because I've never
> figured out how to use it (and the freebies undo never worked either)
>
> So I went and downloaded the newest freebie version, but when I do the usual
> "wine name_of_program.exe" to install it, the install bails out, claiming
> it needs a libpng14.so but mine is 12.so.  So I check the dvd's I just
> burnt of the just released 2 weeks ago CENTOS-6.2.  Opps, same library.
> Looking at my uptodate 10.04 LTS install, it also has libpng12.so.
>
> I have to assume that is intentional.
Gene:

I have more than my share of curmudgeon moments so I know one when I see
one. In this case, though, I think the Eagle developers are just victims
of the "let's use the latest release of everything" syndrome, so, yes,
the change was intentional, but in a benign way.

I'm not sure why you mention "wine"? Aren't you downloading the Linux
version of Eagle, e.g., eagle-lin-6.0.0.run?

When I go to the Eagle download page I see the following statement
following the download links:

> System requirements:
> Linux based on kernel 2.6 for Intel computers, X11 with a minimum
> color depth of 8 bpp, 32-bit runtime environment with the following
> libraries: libpng14.so.14, libssl.so.1.0.0, libcrypto.so.1.0.0,
> libjpeg.so.8

When I asked Google for an opinion it told me tons of people have
complained about libpng14.so dependencies showing up in tons of code,
not just CadSoft Eagle.

It also coughed up the following script which makes it unnecessary for
me to advise how to download and compile the missing library.

http://jdesbonnet.blogspot.com/2011/12/installing-cadsoft-eagle-6-on-ubuntu.html

Good hunting.

Regards,
Kent