On Thursday, January 12, 2012 03:48:50 PM Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 12:55 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:43:08 PM andy pugh did opine:
> > > On 12 January 2012 07:22, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Have you tried DesignSpark under Wine?
> > > Though gEDA might be a better bet, being native Linux. (I have never
> > > tried it)
> >
> > I have looked at gEDA and it shows promise, but it needs to grow some
> > std method of sizing the parts to an agreed upon std measurement
> > method.  When the parts library is 100% contributor generated, no two
> > parts seem to be drawn to the same scale or orientation.
>
> If one can use it often enough to keep current, maybe once a week, I
> find gEDA much easier to use than Eagle. Eagle has an extensive library,
> but I suspect that is because it takes a PhD in Eagle to create them, so
> an interested party made sure the popular symbols were available. To me,
> gEDA makes symbol creation easy enough to just make them as needed. I do
> miss having rules of thumb for pleasing and useful symbols, but I've
> been able to make mine good enough for who they are for. Plus one can
> place and rotate the symbol and connected text on the fly, which from my
> experience Eagle doesn't do.
>
> I haven't made any circuit board g-code using gEDA, so I can't speak to
> that.

AFAIK, gEDA hasn't grown a g-code converter.  OTOH I haven't looked in
about a year, but I am sure that if it had, somebody here would have waxed
poetic about it.  :)

Cheers, Gene
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in
my body.  Then I realized who was telling me this.
                -- Emo Phillips