<I'm backtracking a bit>

On 1/31/2012 10:49 AM, gene heskett wrote:

>> >  I thought LinuxCNC did this automatically if isolcpus was set?
> Apparently it does not, at least not on my box, Andy.  There is a line in
> the dmsg output that seems to indicate it is aware of isolcpus, but IMO its
> wrong.  In fact I'll look and see if taskset's use fixes that right now.
> No, that line:
>
> RTAI[hal]: mounted (IPIPE-NOTHREADS, IMMEDIATE (INTERNAL IRQs DISPATCHED),
> ISOL_CPUS_MASK: 0).

Gene:

I haven't spent enough time in the RTAI source code to know just what
ISOL_CPUS_MASK means and what it causes to happen or not happen. Perhaps
this will turn out to be a vital clue but I don't know how to interpret it.

As for Andy's reply, what LinuxCNC does automatically is start up the
*realtime* processes on the isolated cpu1, not all of LinuxCNC. Many
processes are started on cpu0 as you can see using, e.g., htop. These
might include axis, milltask, etc.

On my ASUS board right now, running 2.6.32-122-rtai kernel with
isolcpus=1, I started htop. I started the do-nothing, loop-forever "cpu
hog", which drove the cpu0 usage to 100.0% and keeps it there. I started
LinuxCNC 2.4.6 with the 3-axis mill simulation. I started Firefox for
good measure. According to htop, I'm consuming about 430MB out of 2003MB
of RAM, while the cpu hog accounts for roughly 50% of cpu usage, axis
roughly 25% and everything else is less. cpu1 usage, of course, is
registering 0.0% (except for a sub-1% perturbation once in a while).
(Incidently, I also see the "ISOL_CPUS_MASK: 0" message).

Response to the PS/2 mouse and keyboard remains satisfactory. I can move
windows, surf the internet, click buttons in axis, etc. No problem.

If I kill LinuxCNC and invoke the latency-test instead, memory usage
drops about 30MB while cpu0 usage remains at 100.0% as expected. Now the
lion's share is consumed by the cpu hog because there's nothing to
compete with it. The reported latency jitter numbers are excellent,
slightly less than 2000 nanoseconds.

I'm thinking about your remark that the behavior (on your system) of the
two pre-release builds has changed recently.

Did this change of behavior occur after you brought up your two-way NFS
services? I'm wondering if you're sacrificing cycles to an angry NFS
god. What does htop say?

I'll try later to pull down a pre-release 2.6.0 build and see if that
changes the picture for me, but so far I haven't been able to replicate
the isolcpus-related portion of your original problem statement. The
probing problem is a different kettle of fish. Fortunately you've got
really good folk looking after that one.

Regards,
Kent