On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 07:22:16 PM Kent A. Reed did opine:

> <I'm backtracking a bit>
>
> On 1/31/2012 10:49 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 09:53:43 AM andy pugh did opine:

> > Apparently it does not, at least not on my box, Andy.  There is a line
> > in the dmsg output that seems to indicate it is aware of isolcpus,
> > but IMO its wrong.  In fact I'll look and see if taskset's use fixes
> > that right now. No, that line:
> >
> > RTAI[hal]: mounted (IPIPE-NOTHREADS, IMMEDIATE (INTERNAL IRQs
> > DISPATCHED), ISOL_CPUS_MASK: 0).
>
> Gene:
>
> I haven't spent enough time in the RTAI source code to know just what
> ISOL_CPUS_MASK means and what it causes to happen or not happen. Perhaps
> this will turn out to be a vital clue but I don't know how to interpret
> it.
>
> As for Andy's reply, what LinuxCNC does automatically is start up the
> *realtime* processes on the isolated cpu1, not all of LinuxCNC. Many
> processes are started on cpu0 as you can see using, e.g., htop. These
> might include axis, milltask, etc.

My copy of htop from the repo's doesn't report which core a process is
running on.  Is there some option switch I can set?

> On my ASUS board right now, running 2.6.32-122-rtai kernel with
> isolcpus=1, I started htop. I started the do-nothing, loop-forever "cpu
> hog", which drove the cpu0 usage to 100.0% and keeps it there. I started
> LinuxCNC 2.4.6 with the 3-axis mill simulation. I started Firefox for
> good measure. According to htop, I'm consuming about 430MB out of 2003MB
> of RAM, while the cpu hog accounts for roughly 50% of cpu usage, axis
> roughly 25% and everything else is less. cpu1 usage, of course, is
> registering 0.0% (except for a sub-1% perturbation once in a while).
> (Incidently, I also see the "ISOL_CPUS_MASK: 0" message).
>
> Response to the PS/2 mouse and keyboard remains satisfactory. I can move
> windows, surf the internet, click buttons in axis, etc. No problem.
>
> If I kill LinuxCNC and invoke the latency-test instead, memory usage
> drops about 30MB while cpu0 usage remains at 100.0% as expected. Now the
> lion's share is consumed by the cpu hog because there's nothing to
> compete with it. The reported latency jitter numbers are excellent,
> slightly less than 2000 nanoseconds.
>
> I'm thinking about your remark that the behavior (on your system) of the
> two pre-release builds has changed recently.
>
> Did this change of behavior occur after you brought up your two-way NFS
> services? I'm wondering if you're sacrificing cycles to an angry NFS
> god. What does htop say?

No, it continued to run well, albeit at a 65 u-sec base-thread, for at
least a day after I had the 2nd, back path running too.

> I'll try later to pull down a pre-release 2.6.0 build and see if that
> changes the picture for me, but so far I haven't been able to replicate
> the isolcpus-related portion of your original problem statement. The
> probing problem is a different kettle of fish. Fortunately you've got
> really good folk looking after that one.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

Thanks Kent.

Cheers, Gene
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb