On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 10:59 -0500, Tom Easterday wrote:
> run the latency-test on the idle core AND run glxgears there (using
> taskset to move it too), my latency is very bad.

That makes perfect sense: the video involved in glxgears locks out
interrupts for protracted periods, so running it on the same core as the
real-time handler should dramatically increase interrupt latency.

It seems the AXIS UI is much better behaved, so running it on the
real-time core doesn't affect latency all that much. Of course, running
AXIS on an otherwise idle core will vastly improve overall performance,
but that's not really the point of fencing off that core.

I'd want to study the whole latency thing a lot more closely, with
steppers whining away and the interpreter chewing through G-Code, before
concluding that running *anything* other than real-time tasks on that
core was a Good Idea.

Now, if you had a four-core CPU, you could put the real-time stuff on
one core, AXIS on another, have two left for everything else, and get
wonderful performance... but, then, that's not a cheap Atom box. [grin]

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com