Gene,

I too see a big improvement in overall system performance by using taskset to
move linuxcnc to the idle core (I am running 2.5.0-pre2 built from source).
Out of curiosity how much cpu does Axis use on your machine?  While running
Axis I am using about 60% of the second core.  I don't have a base thread (I
have mesa cards doing step generation) and have a servo thread running at
600,000.

Also, i noticed that if I run the latency-test on the idle core AND run
glxgears there (using taskset to move it too), my latency is very bad.  Worse
even than the machine without isolcpus configured at all.  On the IRC today
Peter Wallace pointed out that that is a silly scenario since there wouldn't be
anything running on the isolated core other than linuxcnc, and I agree, but I
thought it interesting that the latency on that core was so much worse.

-Tom