Hi everyone,

I have followed the discussion so far with interest. I personally view
gcodes as a very low level language. I guess the addition of owords goes
some way towards improving things. My ideal would be an object based
language for describing the geometry etc of path generation. But my real
reason for commenting is to ask a question.

Is it possible (i.e could be done reasonably quickly and fairly
simply!!) to change emc so that motion processors became a plugin (in
the same way that eclipse  has plugins)? In that way emc could come with
the standard plugin to transcribe current gcode text files into motion
commands but would allow others to write (if they felt inclined) python
plugins, sophisticated Gcode parsers or APT360 parsers etc.

I suspect the quick answer is no as it would require some very radical
changes to emc's structure, but it would to me be an interesting
development but then again I am a retired hobbyist with a computing
background.

So my question is really about allowing extensibility in the future. I
do not think that I am talking here about filters which to my limited
understanding are something like a macro facility. Have I got that right
or are they more than that?

My visualization of a postprocessor plugin is that it would take a file
as input and would output a sequence of low level emc-library motion
commands, so would require that these basic motion commands be made
explicit and publicly accessible.

I dont know how this would fit in with displays such as Axis and with
kinetics modules but suspect that these could work at the lower level
motion commands.

If adding plugins is already possible please excuse my ignorance and
point me to how that is possible.

Thanks

Alan