On Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:27:23 AM charles green did opine:

> [...]
> #<_b> - Return absolute machine B coordinate. Same as #5424.
> #<_c> - Return absolute machine C coordinate. Same as #5425.
> #<_u> - Return absolute machine U coordinate. Same as #5426.
> #<_v> - Return absolute machine V coordinate. Same as #5427.
> #<_w> - Return absolute machine W coordinate. Same as #5428.
> #<_current_tool> - Return number of the current tool in spindle. Same as
> #5400.
>
> i wonder if these are also effected in the released versions?  this is
> more like what i was imagining might be the access to various states of
> machine and loaded table values like tool offset values.
>
> on many milling machine controllers, G43 Hxxx requires a movement of the
> z axis to'take up' the tool length offset, like G0 G43 Z-3.0 H5.  at
> the end of the move (which differs from the commanded -3.0 units by the
> length offset value in offset table position number 5) the end of the
> tool is aligned with the currnt coordinate system.  if you know the
> parameter locations of the current tool and its length offset, the code
> for taking up the current tool offset becomes G0 G43 Z-#[<current tool
> number> + <tool length table parameter offset>] H#[<current tool
> number> + <tool length table parameter offset>].  so there is no axis
> movement, and that coding step in a tool introduction is uniform for
> all tools, regardless of length.  (the tool change is often near the
> travel limit of the z axis, so a large tool offset might result in an
> overtravel if the axis movement is not large enough. so in the first
> example, G0 G43 Z-3.0 H5, if H5=10.00 and there is only another +1.0 to
> go in the z axis beyond the tool change position, the limit will be
> reached 6.0 short of completing this step.)
>
> at the place i have been working, all the mill controllers have been set
> up with a macro override of the T word that encapsulates all the
> discreet coding steps required for MDI tool changing, as well as part
> programming.  the result is improved setup time on the machine, and
> faster part operation coding which is portable between the various
> different machines.
>
> another handy macro (call it G192 for example) finds the center of two
> touch off locations along an axis.  the procedure goes like,
>
> touch the -x edge of the part with edge finder
> G92 X0
> touch the +x edge of part
> G192 X0 (<- "X0" is just convenient, the X-word value is not used in the
> calculation.)
>
> where the G192 macro uses the machine coorinate parameter values of the
> selected axis name (X in this example) to set the origin at the center
> of the part edges.
>
> it would be nice to adapt such tactics in linuxcnc, using the custom M
> codes perhaps?  will the custom codes work from MDI?  they would at
> least be valuable for modularization of part programming, like for the
> tool change routine.  command M106 Txx Sxx:

G38.2 doesn't demand a Z probe, it can do any axis, so LinuxCNC is quite
able to do that.

I did something similar in tholefinder.ngc where I probe the open end of a
small piece of brass tubing let into the pcb pallet to find all 4 contact
points and declare the center, with all co-ordinates offset from that for
the rest of a pcb etch & drill run.  That worked well but needed a very
fine wire, in the spindle with the spindle running, and a smallish
capacitor to capture the first contact.  I actually used a sewing machine
needle threader wire for that.  Repeatability seems to be about a thou.
Often less.  I don't own an edge finder, so I haven't a reference I can
compare my method to.  It works for me & cost $2. :)

Cheers, Gene
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.