On Saturday, March 24, 2012 03:36:34 PM Mark Wendt (Contractor) did opine:

> On 3/24/2012 11:23 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > FWIW, the shack no longer carries db25 pieces to even make a parport
> > cable. DigiKey to the rescue probably.  But no clue as to the minimum
> > length I can get 25 conductor ribbon cable in. I might have some left
> > over to sell you folks. :)
>
> Gene,
>
> Jameco has it in 10' lengths:
>
> <http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_643
> 911_-1>
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark.  Every other place I hit wants to sell it in 100' or 300'
rolls.  But Jameco was a bit proud for the male IDC connectors, made up for
the most part by USPS shipping.  $29 for enough stuff to make 2 cables,
with some ribbon left over seems a bit much.  But they are ordered, hold
for complete shipment mode.

I managed to get the LM317T's mounted & wired, but the si rubber insulators
I stripped out of a defunct Antec PSU aren't that good, the LM317T feeding
a PSU fan about 17 volts measures 097F on the 317's tab, but only 71F on
the other side of the 1/4" alu plate its bolted to, in a 68F room.   With
no drivers hooked up yet, it takes about 20 seconds for the fan to start
slowing down, and another 20 secs to stop after I toggle the power switch
back off.  The filter is a pi section with an unknown choke inductance &
20k uf on both sides of the choke.

That particular fan apparently has a poorly timed commutation, it looks
like it's trying to crowbar the supply for about 200ns every time it
commutes to the next coil sequence.  I may see if there is a smallish choke
in that PSU that will shove that stuff back into the fan, it might reduce
the draw by a few percentage points.

Silly Q about lathe mode.  Can somebody load examples/lathe_pawn.ngc into
their machine & see if its upside down and reversed left right on your
display.  Here it shows the pawn's radius above the centerline, and the
large diameter bottom on the right.  And will not of course run unless I
edit the ini and let it go inches or feet negative in both directions.

Cheers, Gene
So live that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the
town gossip.