an edge finder is just a fancy dowel contraption with a spring in it, and costs
about $10.  this looks like generic info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0od-cp_9dg

i have never seen one smaller than 3/8" diameter, but it would be easy to make
one somewhat smaller.  a plain dowel and a piece of shim material (like paper)
as a feeler works too.  the point of a center finding macro is to circumvent
human based steps in the setup process, like finding a calculator, correctly
typing in a number and dividing by two, and then correctly entering the result
into the machine control.

conductive probing of conductive objects works, and i've used such a simple
setup as watching an ohmmeter connected between workpiece and tooltip to find
surfaces before.  but i've also seen 100% failure of conductive probing for
tool measurement in a production environment because of the swarfy, oily water
environment in the business area of the machine tools.  the results are
automated mechanical destruction of things.  the initial results for setting up
tool offsets are great, but the scheme seems to fail rather quickly.