On 3/24/2012 4:02 PM, gene heskett wrote:

> Thanks Mark.  Every other place I hit wants to sell it in 100' or 300'
> rolls.  But Jameco was a bit proud for the male IDC connectors, made up for
> the most part by USPS shipping.  $29 for enough stuff to make 2 cables,
> with some ribbon left over seems a bit much.  But they are ordered, hold
> for complete shipment mode.
>
> I managed to get the LM317T's mounted&  wired, but the si rubber insulators
> I stripped out of a defunct Antec PSU aren't that good, the LM317T feeding
> a PSU fan about 17 volts measures 097F on the 317's tab, but only 71F on
> the other side of the 1/4" alu plate its bolted to, in a 68F room.   With
> no drivers hooked up yet, it takes about 20 seconds for the fan to start
> slowing down, and another 20 secs to stop after I toggle the power switch
> back off.  The filter is a pi section with an unknown choke inductance&
> 20k uf on both sides of the choke.
>
> That particular fan apparently has a poorly timed commutation, it looks
> like it's trying to crowbar the supply for about 200ns every time it
> commutes to the next coil sequence.  I may see if there is a smallish choke
> in that PSU that will shove that stuff back into the fan, it might reduce
> the draw by a few percentage points.
>
> Silly Q about lathe mode.  Can somebody load examples/lathe_pawn.ngc into
> their machine&  see if its upside down and reversed left right on your
> display.  Here it shows the pawn's radius above the centerline, and the
> large diameter bottom on the right.  And will not of course run unless I
> edit the ini and let it go inches or feet negative in both directions.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Gene,

I ran into the same problem looking for cable to make up plugin
extenders for a Tektronix TM50x.  I needed a little less than 15' of 15
conductor ribbon.  100' and 300' was just ridiculous for what I was
trying to do, so I bought 10' of 30 conductor from Jameco last week.
Split 'er in two, and cut off 3' sections and I'm in like flint.

I miss having a full-featured electronics shop nearby.  The Shack just
don't cut it for much more than solder and flux anymore.  Used to have a
nice little shop run by an elder gent a couple of miles down the road.
Need a length of cable?  No prob.  He'd cut it to length for you.  Had a
nice wall filled with bins of components too.  Not like that almost
worthless set of pseudo-Vidmars that the Shack calls their electronics
component rack.  Almost everything has to be mail order any more.  Sucks.

Mark