A lot of the people that post stuff on Craigslist are incredibly lazy
regarding the postings.
I bet that a 3rd of the inquiries I make on items for sale never get a
reply, even for more expensive items like $5000 trailers etc.

The postings are free so they seem to think that they can ignore the
listings as desired..  Either that or they simply don't have any sales
acumen.

The guys on Ebay are paying for the ability to post adds so they tend to
be much more responsive.

Regarding scams on Craigslist ... there was someone or a group that was
consistently posting the same Airstream Travel trailer over and over
again across the country.
The same exact trailer was in about 20 locations around the US at the
same time..  Even after it was flagged as a scam several times, the same
trailer kept popping up again and again.

The trailer (if it existed) was worth in the $25K range and they were
selling it for $6000 or so...  not unlike the Bobcat scams.

If you want to search Craigslist over a larger area than one city try
SearchTempest.com    It works ok.

Dave