On Feb 19, 2014, at 12:42 AM, Charles Steinkuehler <char...@steinkuehler.net>
wrote:
> If I'm following things correctly, you're doing something very similar
> to the HAL gantry component I just created: applying the same commanded
> position to each gantry joint, providing for an offset between the
> individual joints to avoid racking.

Yes, the offset is applied during the homing sequence and was calculated using
a large square drawn on the table.

> Homing is substantially different, but then I don't have fancy Granite
> drives that will home themselves, so I had to work with LinuxCNC.  :)

Yes, the Granites cost their weight in gold ;-) but they are very nice drives!!
 We have large door stops fastened to the ends of the rails and the granites
reduce torque, move until they hit these, press against them until a (very low)
configured ferror is reached and declare this home.  The gantry then moves out
to the index pulse on each encoder and then the configured offset it applied to
one side.  It is very repeatable.

> Well, first Mesa has to make a BBB cape!  Although there are beginning
> to be some FPGA add-ons for the BeagleBone that might be able to run the
> hm2 firmware.  I'm waiting on my LogiBone kick-starter and there are a
> few other designs in the works I'm aware of.

Will be nice to see these things.
-Tom