On Friday 27 May 2016 12:54:22 dan...@austin.rr.com wrote:

I've sent this message 3 times now.  What black hole is gobbling it up?

> It's a direct dd copy of the drive.  If that wasn't complete, a lot
> more would be broken.
>
> I would not dismantle the (mostly) working system like that.  There's
> a risk of something getting stored wrong on the working drive while
> it's on the new machine, and I don't see anything to prove by moving
> it.
>
> 99.9% sure it's just something different about the ethernet driver on
> the new motherboard.  Something small.  No idea how to fix it, though.

See my reply to Peter, delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
and reboot.  It will be rebuilt to match the ethernet hardware in finds
as it reboots, and networking will likely be restored.

If not, delete it again, grep ' ifname ' /var/log/dmesg to see what it
did call it, you should get something that resembles this:

gene@coyote:~$ grep ' ifname ' /var/log/dmesg
[    1.401462] forcedeth 0000:00:08.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x5043 @ 1,
addr 00:1f:c6:62:fc:bb
[    1.929064] forcedeth 0000:00:09.0: ifname eth1, PHY OUI 0x5043 @ 1,
addr 00:1f:c6:63:07:97
(word wrapped, darn it, what you want is the string after the first
ifname. in this example eth0)

then use an editor as root to look at the /etc/networking/interfaces
file, and rename the stanza for eth0 to whatever the system found and
named it to in the /var/log/dmesg file.

You should at that point be able to do a "sudu service restart
networking" and have the ability to "ping -C2 yahoo.com" and get a 2
normal ping responses from yahoo.com which indicates that networking is
now working.

> It is an AMD64 though, and the installation was an i686.

A non-issue AFAIK.