On Thu, Jun 2, 2016, at 10:54 AM, andy pugh wrote:

> Clearly belts are not working, so what else is there?

Clearly the EXISTING belts are not working.

They were designed for the original motor and original motor controller,
and may well have been marginal for that application.

I'm 99% sure Gene has changed both motor and controller.  I know he's
using Jon Elson's motor controller, with a much higher current rating.
I'm pretty sure he's also using a much stronger motor.  I wouldn't be
surprised if he's doubled or even tripled the available peak torque.
Now he has to uprate the drivetrain to match.

I've seen toothed belts used to transmit 100HP (big belts on big pulleys).
Certainly belts can do the job if sized properly.  Industrial sized lathes
(including yours I think) usually use a combination of belts and gears.
Chains are very rare in lathe drivetrains.

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm