Actually drilling the timing belt is not a bad idea.   The older MXL type
belts used a trapezoid tooth belt but the new high torque "HTD" Designs use
circular profile teeth.    They really are bater and transmit more torque
with less belt tension required.   Even newer designs are GT2 and GT3 and
they use circular test also.  It seems counter intuitive at first that
round teeth would hold more force.  But the load is more distributed the
the tooth profile lack street concentrators (corners)  Any new design
should be using g the HTD or newer profiles

This is the tooth design I was thinking of when I said "ball end" mill.

While on the subject I found a neat program that will let you design almost
any kind of gear (yes ANY kind, even non-round ones) then then it creates
G-code to make it.
http://www.gear2motion.com
I've not used it myself and likely will not as it seem to run only in MS
Windows.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Martin Dobbins <tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Gene wrote:
>
> >The ball end wouldn't be the tool for the job as the bottom of the gullet
> has sharp corners except for the OEM belt of a 7x12. And there >are 2
> common face angles in >use and I've not the memory to quote whether its
> 14.5 degrees or 20 degrees for the face angle per belt tooth style.
>
> >Bigger than xl is probaqbly 20 degrees but that leads to belt hopping if
> not tighter than a drum so I'd assume its 14.5 on the xl as they will rip
> the teeth off the backing >before they'll hop a tooth, assuming the shaft
> centers can't flex.
>
> Absolutely no experience with timing pulleys here :-), and of course from
> that perspective it's always "how hard can it be?"
>
> No cnc abuse in this video just a lot of old British iron, but where do
> you get the tooth profiles from? "You can see the belt manufactures details
> or get the profile for the cutter by curving the belt to the required
> diameter.?" (from the comments below the video)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCiujbcrQzc
>
> This fellow just drilled some holes, but since he glibly points out that
> in his case it was pure math to decide drill size and spacing, it *must* be
> OK.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaacHN-A0Y
>
> I posted this without a thought to the serious matter at hand, and just
> hope it brightens up your day.
>
> Martin

> lists.sourceforge.net
> This list is for users of the Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC). Topics
> include how to obtain, install, configure, and use EMC, as well as other
> general EMC related ...

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California