On Monday 19 September 2016 12:54:00 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 09/19/2016 12:09 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Do any of you know of a pulley maker that can supply a large hub in
> > in a 40 tooth pulley that is also more than an inch wide at the hub?
>
> I always buy my pulleys with undersize bores and bore them
> out. Stock sintered pulleys are typically WAY off center.
> For flanged pulleys, you make a ring out of aluminum on the
> lathe that has an ID very close to the diameter of the lands
> on the pulley, and an OD larger than the flange.  The
> thinckess of the ring should be a hair less than the space
> between flanges.  You cut the ring into two halves, put them
> on the pulley and you can turn it accurately in the lathe.
> McMaster-Carr has a fair selection of XL pulleys.
>
> If the hub is too small, you can just remove the hub and
> bore right through the teeth to insert the setscrews in the
> body of the pulley.
>
> Jon

I investigated my stock of mine shafting today and found it wanting.  I
need about 1.3125 to clear the OD of the shaft bearing sticking out of
the front of the saddle, then another quarter inch to make the sleeve
the  bored out pulley will be pressed onto.  So I'll need some 1.75"
shafting, about 3" long. I think I know where there might be some at
recycle yard prices, but its a fair drive of around 60 miles one way
over a copperhead trail, winding up about 4 miles from Grafton WV from
here. The shafting they have is maybe 4130 steel.  Fun to machine. But I
made some sliding fin motor couplings out of it about a decade back,
that still have zero backlash today. While I am there, see if they have
any 3" wide steel at least 3/8" thick. I need to make a new table insert
for my bandsaw. One that sits flush, the oem plastic sat about 30 thou
low.

So the pressed on pulley seems like the best idea so far.  Making that
hub on TLM will take a while, but if I do it right it will be pretty
concentric.

If that fails, then $76 something will get me 8" of it in alu from HM.
Bore to suit.  Save leftovers.

Thanks Jon.