Typically 0.1 bypass caps REALLY to have to be physically close to the
load they are bypassing. Within a few millimeters.  Cut the leads
short and bridge the power pins with the cap.

Placing a larger cap farther away can't cause any harm but it is not
going to do the same job.

Reason:  The real world is not the same as theory.   All caps have an
internal series resistance (ESR). Think of them as a cap and resister
in series and model them that way too when you design the circuit.
The  ESR of a .1uF ceramic cap is nearly zero, but for the tantalum,
you need to look it up in the data sheet.

Why physically close to the load.  Wire has non-zero impedance.
Mainly in this case it is inductive.   You need to minimize the value
of the inductor between the 0.1 cap and the device.  Apparently the
manufacturer wants a low impedance power supply.

Draw the circuit schematic with a the lead wire inductance and cap's
ESR shown then you can see that needs to be minimized.  Don't worry
about space you candy 0.1 caps that are the size of a large grain of
sand

The usual way to mount these is to make a tiny PCB that has the device
on to and a mounting hole and the passive parts like the capacitor(s)
and a connector for the cable.

All that said, it will likely work OK if you can get that small ca
reasonably close.   Better to get the 0.1 closer then a larger one
farther way as the goal is to minimize the amount of wire

And using a larger cap is no substitute for the .01 either because I
bet the .1 was spec'd mainly for its low ESR, not because it needed to
be exactly 0.1uF

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings everybody;
>
> A bit too cold this morning to go out to the shop and saw out the thicker
> spacers I am going to need to permanently mount the Z motor and screw
> anchor.
>
> So, not wanting to waste the day waiting for it to warm, I went back to
> work on the encoder thing this morning.
>
> I now have an additional tab of alu extending to the left to hold one of
> these ATS667's as an index pulse generator, and have that one s-glued in
> a bit beyond where the center of the glued on screw passes by, hoping it
> won't trigger on a regular tooth.
>
> But, I've never used any of these before.  No clue as to their bad
> habits.
>
> The spec sheet I have shows a "required" .1 bypass to ground on the VCC
> lead, but has anyone had any problems using just one for all 3 devices?
> This thing is cramped for space for a bulky mylar .1.
>
> So I intend to put an even larger tantalum on the pcb, which will be on
> the left face of this added tab as I can let it project inward nearly 20
> mm's in that space, lots of space before encountering anything that
> moves there.  That means I'll have to paste some wrapping wire to extend
> the leads about 1" to get to the pcb.  So this bypass cap may be as much
> as 2" of wire away from the device body.
>
> Can anyone testify that the extra lead length is a problem?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)