There was a time (in the late 1990's to early 2000's) when LinuxCNC (EMC back
then) had three realtime threads.  What we now know as the base and servo
threads, and a third slower thread for the trajectory planner.  Back in the
day, computers couldn't necessarily do all the trajectory planner (and
especially kinematics) math quick enough, so the planner ran at 1/10 the rate
and the output was interpolated at the servo rate.

The third thread went away in 2004 or so when EMC2 rewrote much of the motion
controller.

There is no mechanism for detecting unused ini file parameters, so it is quite
possible that no code has actually used the parameters you mention in more than
a decade.

I'm not in a position to do it, but I wonder how hard it would be to grep thru
the code to see if those parameters are used?  If they're not, they should be
deleted from the sample configs.

John Kasunich

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 05:34 PM, Joe Hildreth wrote:
> It's me again ... :-)
>
> While in the [TRAJ] section of the INI file is see the variable CYCLE_TIME =
> 0.010, but is not mentioned in the INI config documents.  I am only guessing
> that this is the polling interval time for the trajectory planner but am not
> sure.  Can I add this to my list?
>
> Thanks again, sorry to be a pain.
>
> Joe Hildreth
>
> ----- On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:35 PM, Joe Hildreth j...@threerivershospital.com
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am going through the INI file of my stepper based Gantry machine and am
> > looking at the [EMCMOT] section. In this section I see two variables:
> >
> > COMM_TIMEOUT = 1.0
> > COMM_WAIT = 0.010
> >
> > I am guessing they have something to do with the communication times, but
> > the
> > INI Configuration section of the documentation does not mention these, and I
> > see no reference to them in the core component motion section of the
> > documentation.
> >
> > Can someone explain these to me and maybe add them to the INI config docs?
> >
> > Many thanks for your help, patience and time.
> >
> > Joe Hildreth

  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm