On Sunday 02 April 2017 15:22:08 Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 22:04:04 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 March 2017 15:07:41 John Kasunich wrote:
> > > There was a time (in the late 1990's to early 2000's) when
> > > LinuxCNC (EMC back then) had three realtime threads.  What we now
> > > know as the base and servo threads, and a third slower thread for
> > > the trajectory planner.  Back in the day, computers couldn't
> > > necessarily do all the trajectory planner (and especially
> > > kinematics) math quick enough, so the planner ran at 1/10 the rate
> > > and the output was interpolated at the servo rate.
> > >
> > > The third thread went away in 2004 or so when EMC2 rewrote much of
> > > the motion controller.
> > >
> > > There is no mechanism for detecting unused ini file parameters, so
> > > it is quite possible that no code has actually used the parameters
> > > you mention in more than a decade.
> > >
> > > I'm not in a position to do it, but I wonder how hard it would be
> > > to grep thru the code to see if those parameters are used?  If
> > > they're not, they should be deleted from the sample configs.
> > >
> > > John Kasunich
> >
> > Interesting comment, John K.
> >
> > So I fired up the editor and took both CYCLE_TIME settings in the
> > .ini file out of the ini file for my small mill.
> >
> > On running it, trajectory did not complain, but emcio did, saying it
> > was useing the default timing of .01 seconds, same as the ini file
> > setting. That did not prevent it from running. So I restored that
> > one, but left it commented out in the [TRAJ] section.
> >
> > Based on that, the [TRAJ] section CYCLE_TIME could probably go away.
>
> If there is no feedback it might be better to do more work at once.
> With a slower thread priority could be reduced.

FWIW, I put about 95% of the jog-wheel stuff in a separate thread on the
pi, running at 200 Hertz.  Thats about on a par with my ability to spin
the crank. Even if I overrun the motors MAX_VEL (they run on for a bit
when I stop the dial in that event) everything does seem to get done
with no dropped data that I've been able to detect.

However, a remark about a tool to find unused data triggers another tool
idea we need, and that is a tool (I've hat in hand, begging) to compare
the order of addf's, with  the actual order of the data thru a
processing chain.

The idea being to spot un-intended delays in arriving at the finished,
send it back to the machine data. Without having to spend a day
capturing a rockhopper scan, feeding it into a posterizer to make it big
enough to read, then printing those half a dozen (or more) 14x17 (yes, I
have a printer that big) sheets, trimming them to splice and taping them
up on half a sheet+ of plywood and tracing that.  And of course its
obsolete 1 minute after you hang it on the wall if you find an error. :(
Good way to denude a forest...