I use KiCAD for schematic and layout. A typical trace would be 0.4mm. The
smallest tracers I go is 0.3mm. Anything thinner i the results vary alot.
As for SMD's SOT23-6 and SOIC is a comfortable packages to work with.
For CAM I use flatcam <http://flatcam.org/>, with is quite messy at first,
but has alot of opportunities to tweak settings. It also has a very good
tool for making aliment holes when doing sided boards. It can also
"mill-drill" with is convenient.

I use Autoleveller <http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/> after the gcode has
been generated by flatcam. Even though i use generous amounts of double
sided tape as work holding , and leveled spoilplate I still get noticeable
better results when I level the board first.

For engraving bits i really like theese :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HM-Engraver-3-175-40-CNC-Engraving-Bits-PCBs-PCB-Endmill-VHM/112827385707?hash=item1a4509476b:g:m0IAAOSwa~BYXBl2

They give good results for tents to stay sharp for many more boards than
the really cheap chineese ones. Although I have had some good success with
thoes cheap ones aswell, just not as frequent =).

/Peter