On Tuesday 22 May 2018 20:36:45 jeremy youngs wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2018, 18:05 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > halrun
> >
> > loadrt hostmot2
> > loadrt hm2_7i90 ... and the rest of the line ...
> >
> > loadrt threads
> > addf hm2_7i90.read thread1
> > addf hm2_7i90.write thread1
> > start
> >
> > setp hm2_7i90.0.pwmgen.00.value 1 (use tab completion, I am guessing
> > the pin names)
>
> Pretty sure I can follow that, and match the pins to my printed off
> configuration
>
> > > I also need to determine encoder count
> >
> > loadusr halmeter pin hm2_7i90.0.encoder.00.rawcounts
> >
> > Then twirl the shaft and look at the counts.
> >
> > Thank you very much , I hope to get this far along in the next day
> > or two.
>
> Once the counts are known my next question will be how to edit the Hal
> file to match what I have. I will refer to the dead tree copy of Hal
> tutorial and try to work through it first though.
>
> I have to purchase an encoder for my spindle motor, I'm thinking a 256
> count should suffice , spindle is 1:1 belt driven,

Ouch, unless its a timing belt, otherwise there will be slippage, making
the scale more of a SWAG than accurate. Your situation is different from
mine as there is a gearset for the heads gear shift between the motor
and the spindle. Because of the gear ratio, and the encoder being a 1000
line encoder, my high gear "scale" is 7161.61, and low gear is even more
outragious at 14095. That, and the fact that I wasn't aware the encoders
output was differential, meant I had to use some under a buck a copy,
rs485 gismo's setup as receivers only to convert the differential to TTL
for the 5i25 inputs. But to get to the 5i25, I had to rip out the opto's
in the BoB's input for the A/B inputs.

> is there any reason I should choose a higher count?

Yes, I found the way high counts also gave me the ability to regulate the
spindle speed so well that I hear zero slowdown as the load goes up, my
only clue being the PMDC motors squeak as the current limit in the
pwm-servo amp kicks in at about 16 amps, around 160% of full scale for
that motor. My previous encoder, on the spindle itself, had 268 for a
scale, and the coarse granularity drove the PID unstable at Pgains above
3. Way more than that is well tolerated now.  If you are 1/1, then I
wouldn't consider an encoder under 1000 lines, your PID tuning will be
much much easier.

> I would like to rigid tap
> eventually , mostly to put 1/2 13 thread into my subplate as I really
> don't want to do 400 of them by hand. High performance is not
> necessary here but accuracy is. Thank you

1/2" 13 tpi, is a tall order. How much torque is available?  With only a
1 hp motor geared nominally 7/1 or 14/1, I'd have to wrap the g33.1 up
in a peck routine, probably advancing 1/4 turn or less per peck.
Although I have not yet mounted that big a tap in one of the tap hats
we've been discussing. So that test has not been made. Yet.

Gripping the tap in a collet, R8 or a TTS ER-20 without the positive
coupling, tightly enough to prevent slippage, which will ruin the
thread, isn't possible. These tap hats have a cap screw in the side that
engages a notch cut in the bottom of an R8, locking the hat to the R8,
and the hat has 4 grub screws to grip the square flats on the butt end
of the tap. Its either going to stay in time, rip the grub screws out,
threads and all, or twist the tap off.