On Wednesday 23 May 2018 04:44:21 andy pugh wrote:

> On 23 May 2018 at 01:36, jeremy youngs <jcyoung...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have to purchase an encoder for my spindle motor, I'm thinking a
> > 256 count should suffice , spindle is 1:1 belt driven , is there any
> > reason I should choose a higher count?
>
> Not really, I did tapping and gear hobbing with a 50 tooth wheel.
>
> But is there any reason not to go higher? The 7i90 won't run out of
> counting abiity.
> Just make sure you get one with an index, the super-cheap ones on eBay
> often dont.
>
> It might be as easy to widen the spindle pulley and add a second
> narrow belt for a 1:1 driven shaft-type encoder such as
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172623609462

If the pix are actual, that one doesn't have enough wires to be a
differential output. But the photographer never turned it to show the
complete color code listing on the label. Any of that 'style' of encoder
will last longer if a separately supported shaft is driven and can
absorb the belt tension. It comes with an elastomer flexible coupleing
that is 5mm on both ends. I made an extension shaft whose connection to
the motor is a small bolt thru the extension, drilled and tapped into
the rear shaft of the motor, so it sits on a sheet metal panel attached
to the top cover with standoffs. Top of cover removed leaveing just
enough ledge for the supporting standoffs.

The encoder wires shielding conductor should NOT touch the machine so
there cannot be any noise inducing ground loops.