On Tue, May 22, 2018, 20:53 Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Ouch, unless its a timing belt, otherwise there will be slippage, making
> the scale more of a SWAG than accurate.

Yes, 1 inch wide xl 037

That, and the fact that I wasn't aware the encoders

> output was differential, meant I had to use some under a buck a copy,
> rs485 gismo's setup as receivers only to convert the differential to TTL
> for the 5i25 inputs. But to get to the 5i25, I had to rip out the opto's
> in the BoB's input for the A/B inputs.

My encoders are completely unknown to me, and I cannot find much
> information on them.

I have 2 Bob's that are just vias directly to db 25. I may have to make a
50 pin adapter for them .
I don't know yet if I will have to buffer the signal, how did you know you
needed to ?

> > is there any reason I should choose a higher count?
>  Way more than that is well tolerated now.  If you are 1/1, then I
> wouldn't consider an encoder under 1000 lines, your PID tuning will be
> much much easier.
>

> 1/2" 13 tpi, is a tall order. How much torque is available?

620 oz inches , 3.2 kw at this time.
I have my eye on a bldc at 37.5 n/m at 5kw if I can scratch up the funds.
Rigid tapping isn't an immediate issue but would be nice.

> Gripping the tap in a collet, R8 or a TTS ER-20 without the positive
> coupling, tightly enough to prevent slippage.

I have a bt30 spindle in the works.

I hope soon to have this thing reassembled, it's been a couple months since
it made chips. Thank you for your advice.