On Friday 26 April 2019 09:25:27 Bruce Layne wrote:

> On 4/26/19 5:32 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> > Do you get these in the US?
> >
> > https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r210cms-210mm-single-bevel-comp
> >ound-mitre-saw-240v/7277p
> >
> > The entire machine costs less than you are quoting for a blade.
>
> I had seen the Evolution saw at Amazon, and saw it again last night
> when I went there to find the model number of the Dewalt saw for my
> previous email.  Someone had asked a question on Amazon.  Why is the
> Dewalt multi cut saw more than twice the price of the Evolution saw?
> The answer was that the quality of the Evolution saw wasn't good.
> I've never used either so I can't say.  I'm cheap.  If I just had a
> few cuts to make, I'd be tempted to get the Evolution.  If I was
> making cuts like Wallace (8 cubic feet of swarf per job!) I'd spend
> more in the hope of getting more.  Durability and cut quality are
> certainly issues, but at those volumes, saving five seconds per cut is
> a significant labor savings.
>
> This thread reminds be of my desire to use LinuxCNC to make an
> automated band saw... or updated to the modern technology, an
> automated multi cut saw.  All of this stock prep work seems like
> boring work for a human. Even in a world with audiobooks to occupy my
> mind while doing repetitive tasks, I'll still spend 40 hours to
> automate a job to save 20 hours of tedium.   :-)

I can't do anything but encourage you to do just that, break some new
ground. Prepareing the stock for minimum swarf on the lathe or milling
machine doing the final part of the finish is the most thankless and
often labor intensive part of the whole production from start to
finished product, a job I hate with a passion because the only bandsaw I
have is designed and bladed for wood. A Rikon 10-325 that I have had to
ditch all the guides because the ball bearings were actually vfx's for
skate wheels you can buy for $4 a 10 pack.  Needless to say, spinning at
3300 FPS blade speeds their square balls translate into a very poor cut
made by the best blades you buy from the Highland Hardware store in
Hotlanta.  Now equipt with Koolblocks, and carbide shoes for the back
edge of the blade, its cuts are much improved, but asking a $35
woodslicer blade to cut alu, is certain death on that blade.

Linuxcnc, running 3 or 4 steppers and some clamps, could automate one of
those saws if we had the means to make the mechanical connections, like
a ball screw to do the pushdown, another to drive a band clamp, a 3rd to
provide the motive force to advance the raw materiel into position
against the stop you set for the job's duration, or maybe even a 4th
motor to set that stop. Set it up, load a stick of material, and hit the
run button, go do other money making things till its out of materiel.
The first thing I'd do is make a 6 ft stick of 1" black Acetal into at
least a hundred round tuits & flood the local market with them at $5 a
copy. :-) The advertising would recommend you keep one in your pocket so
you'd always have a round tuit.  And it would be a lot more durable than
the one I had in Rapid City SD in the 1960's, made from a disk of red
maple dowelling, rumble polished and hot stamped.  Those broke way too
easy in your pocket.