On Monday 03 June 2019 12:16:09 pm Jon Elson wrote:

> On 06/03/2019 10:02 AM, Dave Cole wrote:
> >  Mach4 is unknown to me and requires a phone home
> > license.  Is there a compelling reason to go there?
>
> Does this mean Mach4 will no longer run if Artsoft closes or
> changes their net address?
> Yikes, I sure would not want to be locked in like that!
>
> Jon

If they change the address, but not the name, and Artsoft updates that
address at the root dns servers in a timely manner, it should fix
itsself in a day max.  But if they change the name, the doo-doo quickly
gets pretty deep.

IMO (mach, either 3 or 4) is off the table for exactly that reason.

And the interface in the control box that comes with a 6040 gantry is
designed only for mach3 and that severely limits what linuxcnc can do,
no home switch, no limit switches, and by then I was so pissed I never
checked for a G38.2 input. All it can do is start and stop the spindle
motor at what ever speed the knob is set for, no speed, no reverse
despite the fact that its vfd does have those inputs, but they don't
work.

So in the end that whole shebang is now holding down the lid on a can of
paint, replaced by a new 5i25<->7i76 interface, and the psu and motor
drivers that used to run my hf mill. Which means I have a clone vfd
running the spindle too.  So I got a reverse too. The motor drivers,
tb6560's, are probably ok, but the psu needs 5 more amps to drive all 4
axis's, doing a foldback to about 14 volts from its 24 volt label. My
old psu is 28 volts at 12.5 amps and just sits there, running cool with
all motors plugged in.

I gotta learn how fast to run the spindle though, even with coolant, alu
welds itself into a tool gullets pretty quickly at >10k revs. I have
some tooling sitting in 3/8" of liquid drano eating the alu out of the
gullets.  Slower than lye, but working.