Not much math.  Tie a spring scale (aka "fish scale") to an end mill placed
in the chuck and pull sideways,  Record the force on the scale and use a
dial indicator to measure the deflection of the end mill.  Plot a few
points.    With no math you now know the "spring" in the system.   One
thing, be sure to measure in both X and Y directions as they are likely
different.

With only middle school algebra, you can use the plot to solve for the
spring constant (Remember Hook's Law?)  But really all you need is the plot.

That said, I doubt this matters as most people will make a final light pass
that has almost zero side force, so in the end, the "sping" does not
matter much.   I don't know the true source in in-accuracy in a typical
mill.    Why are we not able to get to one micrometer?

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California