On 07/20/2020 07:43 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if he accidently fixed an unwanted ground, or made
a bad one good doing it?  Murphy is alive and well despite our reward
funds.

Yes, he had unwanted grounds (loops) all over the place. Actually, he has NO ground, only a neutral, which is connected to some 120 V loads. Clearly not NEC compliant.

Also, he had the grounds for the servo amps looped all over the place, had the signals and grounds to the servo amps following wildly different paths, all sorts of stuff. I had him rewire so the signal and ground for the servo amp inputs were bundled together, and logic power and enable follow the shortest path. He had to rewire the thing at least a dozen times, but it eventually cleared up the issues.

I just instinctively know how to wire signals in a high-noise environment, so I didn't know how touchy
things actually were.

One of the shortcuts I took in my servo amps was to not isolate the power stage from the logic, and to only have one ground, common for both the power stage and the logic. I SHOULD have also opto-isolated the enable pin on the servo amp. So, if you have long wires on that common ground, a star connection from the distant motor power supply, large voltages will appear on the ground for the logic as well. That was the basic problem. I had to have him put a terminal block as close to the servo amps as possible, so the path from one amp's ground to the other was as short as possible. Then, bundling the PWM, direction and ground to the servo amps finished the fix.

I've sold 124 of these PWM servo controllers, and NEVER run into a problem like this. I've had a few people run into minor noise issues, but this one really had me going in circles.

Jon