I'm still having issues with the rigid tapping.  It works sometimes and
fails other times.  After scoping the motion.spindle-revs, it appears to be
consistent with what we would expect aside from one possible issue.  The
spindle revs reset to zero upon G33.1 being called, then count up until
they stop, reverse, go negative past zero, then return to clockwise
motion.  However, on the second zero crossing (going positive) the revs go
positive, only to be reset to zero momentarily thereafter.  I'm not sure if
this is normal behavior or not.

However, what isn't normal behavior is that the ppmc.0.encoder.03.index
value is loaded with noise.  Not occasional noise, but constantly
triggering in irregular intervals regardless of whether the spindle is
turning.  I'm baffled as to how this could be so noisy and was wondering
where you might look next.  Grounds look fine aside from the fact that the
control cabinet and the power cabinet have a ground wire connecting them in
addition to being grounded through the machine.  When removed from the USC
board, the index can be measured with a multimeter as the spindle is
rotated.  I forgot to bring my scope to the shop today (I didn't think I'd
need it) so I can't scope anything until tomorrow.  Is it possible there's
a pull-up resistor missing?

Thanks,
Matt

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:38 AM Matthew Herd <herd.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Andy, I’ll give the documentation a thorough read through and see
> how it might be best incorporated.

> writing some additional sections.
> >>>
> >> You can submit suggested changes to John Thornton, or get
> >> commit access yourself.
> >
> > Fir docs you can edit the asccidoc file live on the web site and
> > create a pull-request with the click of a button.
> > (All you need to do is log in as yourself then click the pencil icon
> > on the file view)
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> > designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> > lunatics."
> > — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

Matthew Herd
Email:  herd.m...@gmail.com
Cell:  610-608-8930