So answer is below.  The issue is in the mesaflash code and how it decides what
UDP packets to listen to.

> From: Gene Heskett [mailto:ghesk...@shentel.net]
> On Friday 11 June 2021 15:14:07 John Dammeyer wrote:
> > Gene.
> > No difference with WiFi on or off.  I thought it might have mattered
> > since the Beagle and the PC don't have additional Ethernet. John
> >
> Turning off the radio didn't help on my pi3 or pi4, avahi still pulled a
> default address in the 169 block out of someplace.
>
> Thats why I said you have to render it non-executable.

The clue was when I changed the jumper on the Beagle connected 7i92H to set
10.10.10.10 like Peter Wallace suggested.  However I couldn't figure out
quickly how to change the Beagle IP and since it was a way off number from
192.168.1.1 anyway and yet still talked it had to be something different.

Once I set it to 10.10.10.10 mesaflash couldn't find the 7i92H anymore.  I
could ping that IP but no luck at all with mesaflash.  What worked before with
the PC and the Beagle was:

debian@ebb:~/mesaflash $ sudo ./mesaflash  --device 7i92 --addr 10.10.10.10
ETH device 7I92 at ip=10.10.10.10

And that worked with the Pi4 too.
pi@linuxcnc:~/mesaflash $ sudo ./mesaflash --device 7i92 --addr 192.168.1.121
ETH device 7I92 at ip=192.168.1.121

So although it wasn't needed with the PC nor the Beaglebone when the Beagle was
set at 192.168.1.121 for some reason when I add --addr 192.168.1.121 to the
command line for the Pi4 or 10.10.10.10 for the Beagle it now works.  It looks
like all commands executed on the Pi4 require the --addr while on the Beagle
only if it's not 192.168.1.121

pi@linuxcnc:~/mesaflash $ sudo ./mesaflash --device 7i92 --addr 192.168.1.121
--readhmid
Configuration Name: HOSTMOT2

General configuration information:

  BoardName : MESA7I92
  FPGA Size: 9 KGates
  . . . stripped because it doesn't need to be in this posting.
12                     32   IOPort       QCount           1        Quad-IDX
   (In)
13                     33   IOPort       None

pi@linuxcnc:~/mesaflash $

So I should theoretically be able to program the FPGA now but will have to
include --addr on the command line.  There's still something wrong with
mesaflash on the Pi4 that is different from a PC running LinuxCNC and a Beagle
running debian 4.14 Stretch.  The PC LinuxCNC  is 4.9 PREEMPT RT so a bit older
too.

Perhaps something new happened with 4.19 that mesaflash has issues with and the
slightly older OS doesn't.

Inside the HAL file for LinuxCNC we set what the IP # is.  That's probably why
LinuxCNC doesn't have issues with the 7i92H.   But on some systems the --addr
is needed and not on others depending on the ip number.

Thanks for everyone's contributions.
John