I built a new controller for my 9x20 lathe using a 5i25/7i76 combo. I thought I
had everything working but I still can’t get the spindle working correctly.
I have a 1.5hp PMDC treadmill motor that I am controlling with a Cycletrol-150
DC controller. The am using the analog out from the 7i76 to replace the
potentiometer to control the spindle speed. I have a 100 slot encoder with
index (homemade) on the spindle.

The spindle starts under LCNC control but I am not getting an “at speed
indication” at above about 100rpm. The motor sounds like is is running at a
steady speed but the Spindle Speed indicator fluctuates wildly. I am suspicious
of the spindle encoder. Before I was just running it as a 100 count counter
with index and it worked fine. I can’t figure out in PNCConf how to set up a
spindle counter with index for the 7i76.

Questions:
Is it likely that my encoder is the problem?
I don’t know how to adjust the detectors to be out of cycle by 90°? Any helpful
hints?
Should I just go back to the 100 slot counter?
Should I replace my whole homemade encoder with a real commercial spindle
encoder?

Sent from my iPad