Hi Alan,
> From: Alan Condit [mailto:condit.a...@gmail.com]
> I built a new controller for my 9x20 lathe using a 5i25/7i76 combo. I thought
> I had everything working but I still can�t get the spindle
> working correctly.
> I have a 1.5hp PMDC treadmill motor that I am controlling with a
> Cycletrol-150 DC controller. The am using the analog out from the
> 7i76 to replace the potentiometer to control the spindle speed. I have a 100
> slot encoder with index (homemade) on the spindle.

This is what I found for a Cycletrol DC motor controller.
http://www.grahammotorandcontrols.com/item_dc_motor_controller/176B6002/58

There is no guarantee that a PWM output will emulate a potentiometer.  That's
the first place to look
First put the pot back and measure the voltage between the wiper and ground as
you control the speed from 0 to full RPM open loop.  And depending on how it's
powered be careful that the pot inputs aren't indirectly connected to ground.

It's always possible the speed control won't work unless there is also 5K Ohm
between pin 9 and 11.

It's also possible the pot changes the resistance (as a rheostat) in a feedback
circuit so input PWM may or may not work.

Also PWM is exactly that pulse width.  Unless you have a filter capacitor
across that with a bleeder resistor to ground (Pin 11) the internal circuit
many not integrate the PWM enough for it to work.

For example I bought a small Chinese PWM to 0-10V module that has the rule that
the PWM frequency can't be higher than 1kHz.  Try it with 10kHz and it won't
create a lower voltage.  So PWM frequency is a parameter that must be correct.

I also, way back, bought a step/dir to 0-10V controller that produced 10V at
25kHz step rate.  The problem was my ELS was limited to 20kHz so I never could
get 10V out of it.

I don't believe your 100 PPR encoder is the issue.  I'm running my spindle with
60 PPR and can do power tapping on the mill.

It may still be possible to find these UHU or HP_UHU kits somewhere.  I ended
up using them because the GECKO servo drives I bought were only good to 80V and
my servo motors like more than 90V.  The HP_UHU kit was good to over 200VDC.
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/servo-motors-drives/342836-uhu-servo-controller-build.html

Similarly there are still some STMBL kits out there.  These can actually take
the smart serial input from the MESA boards or step/dir.  I'm not sure that
0-10V was very implemented.
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/stmbl_servo_motor_drive.html

John