From: empyre-boun...@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au
[empyre-boun...@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au] On Behalf Of Ian Bogost
[ian.bog...@lcc.gatech.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 11:28 AM
To: soft_skinned_space
Subject: Re: [-empyre-] Meillassoux / Harman

A chair is a chair. A picture of a chair is a picture of a chair. A definition
of a chair is a definition of a chair. None are all chairs, but all have
something to do with chairs. At least, that's the OOO contention. There are no
planes of existence… except for Harman (and Tim, to some extent), who
distinguishes sensual from real objects. For Graham, the idea of a chair is
different from the real chair, which recedes from all encounters. I think this
is maybe the conclusion you arrive at in your second paragraph below.

NOTHING about OOO privileges the material (i.e., the tangible, physical) chair
primacy over the others. As for "the same weight" — well, that depends on what
you mean by "weight." What do you mean?

I hate to say it, but it's maybe not possible to make further progress without
reading some of this material in depth…

Ian