I have an article that I wrote about a year ago which discusses black
boxes, poetics, and default settings:  Inside Out of the Box: Default
Settings and Electronic Poetics
http://www.dichtung-digital.org/2010/heckman/heckman.htm

It might be a nice complement to the conversation.

I will take a look at Graham's quadruple object.

Davin