You are right....  I should do more reading.  I find the thoughts
engaging and, since I am in transit, I am eager to get more
information where I can.

Ultimately, underneath my questions, I suppose, are some thoughts on
relationality and time.  You have all of these things that have to do
with chairs, but only the chair is the chair.  And there are these
things that have to do with chairs, but which are real in their own
right.  But an idea about a chair kind of flickers in and out of
consciousness, never having a discrete edge, and only become something
definitive when their edges are marked out in some way. It's tempting
to think that one's writing about a thought is separate from the
thought itself, but typically the act of writing or performing a
thought tends to calcify and reinforce it through a feedback loop.
Every time one thinks about a chair, one does not invent a new object.
 Similar to a computer program pulling modular entities and reusing
them again and again, our thoughts repeat the concept in our
imagination.  On the other hand, imaginary iterations are not the same
as digital iterations.  Less like a computer, we pull the modular
concept into action and interpret it with a variety of tones.  I
wouldn't want to say these singular thoughts don't exist, but on the
other hand, they don't have the same reality as those thoughts which
are articulated and taken up into collective discourse....  and even
still, a discursive "thing" gains a level of significance when it
represents some empirical process.

I care about this because a chair changes from one moment to the next.
 It becomes materially altered as time unfolds, yet we are comfortable
saying that the chair on day one is that chair on day five.  In other
words, each moment does not unleash a separate chair.  In my mind,
"weight" might be its subjective intensity, its empirical durability,
its social hegemony, its procedural utility, its digital ubiquity, its
aesthetic elegance....  though none of these qualities are directly
analogous to the other, suggesting that there are a variety of types
of being.

All these thoughts are a jumble....  I'll take your advice and do some reading.

Davin